Saturday 28 March 2015

Katz's Delicatessen New York | review

Katz's Deli New York! A tourist attraction or brilliant New York food at it's best? 

Well it's been a few days since I've told you all with my travels to the fair city of New York. Now since I feature all the new restaurants I like trying out on my blog it seemed fitting to share with you all Katz's Deli and dedicate a little post to this unassuming modest street corner Deli. 

Katz's Delicatessent New York

One of the best things for me about travel is been able to sample the local delicacies. As soon as I booked New York the first thing on my mind other than a trip to Sephora, (typical blogger) was sampling a "proper" New York Sandwich. 

After a subway ride and a little bit of wondering around lost we came across Katz's Deli, an unassuming corner street deli in the suburbs of East Houston. However the unassuming location is not something to take for granted as the Deli is something of a New York icon. 

Famed for it's well loved sandwiches alongside other family favourites such as matzo ball soup and well "that scene" from when Harry met Sally this was number 1 on my New York to visit list, sorry Statue of Liberty. 

Katz's Delicatessent New York

Katz's Delicatessent New York

With neon signs hanging along the deli counter and busboys busy clearing the tables, this place defiantly had the characteristics I had imagined. Pictures framed across the walls of celebrity who had visited the establishment which hung proudly, only enforced the understated tone of just how great this place is to locals and non-locals alone who flock here to sample the food. 

Katz's Delicatessent New York

Katz's Delicatessent New York

I ordered the classic Ruben sandwich, corned beef, Swiss cheese, Russain sauerkraut on rye bread with a side of pickles. 

I really really really wanted to like the food, like really bad! Maybe it was my choice, maybe it was the overwhelming quantity of food stuffed between two pieces of bread calling it's self my sandwich or maybe it was my high expectations, but, ohh I don't want to say the words, ok I'll whisper...I didn't like it. 

I tried hard to enjoy it, I really did, I even attempted biting into the sandwich whole, before de-constructing my piece of New York on my plate, pulling it apart one slice of corned beef at a time, but I just didn't see the big deal. We had got along well until my first bite, the staff were amazing, I was ever so excited to even be in the restaurant so many celebs had praised, yet the sandwich and I just didn't get along. 

I found the meat fatty, the bread crumbled away under the monstrous filling, the cheese cold and congealed together and the sauerkraut didn't do it for me. 

Katz's Delicatessent New York

Katz's Delicatessent New York

Now obviously I would give this place a 2nd try if I hopefully get to Visit again, Although with two holidays booked for May, Corfu and Croatia it won't be any time soon unfortunately. However I would maybe sample something a little different such as their French toast for breakfast.

Sammie





Disqus comments