Monday 21 April 2014

Rosies Diner | Leeds Kirkstall Road | Review


Rosie's Diner Leeds

Rosie's Diner Leeds


Rosie's Diner Leeds

Rosie's Diner Leeds

Rosie's Diner Leeds

Rosie's Diner Leeds

So recently Leeds seems to have seen a somewhat unpredicted trend in American style restaurants and burger joints. Now I love american food but if I'm honest when it comes to burgers I'm never normally a massive fan. 

However when I heard about Rosie's Diner I was pleased someone's finally ran with the full American concept. When I heard it was open 24/7 I was even more delighted as my first though then was...hummm at least there actually doing the whole diner concept authentically. Even though the waiters and waitresses weren't wearing roller-skates and there was no one walking around offering refills of coffee, it was still a pretty cool place and felt pretty fun. Call me a kill joy but one think I actually didn't like was the balloons tied to the side of booths. I understand these are to hand out to the kiddies but c'mon balloons are for Pizza Hut and Frankie & Bennys, this place has more potential. It seemed to be a popular choice for young couples and groups of friends and set right by a bowling alley and a cinema would seem a popular date choice also. (Because I clearly go on loads of those #wishfulthinking). 

The menu was easy to understand and there was the typical choice of burgers, hot dogs, ribs and steak. There was the also not so traditional diner choice of fish and chips but it was a nice touch to add something different to the menu. 

I ordered the Chicago Blues Burger £9.95 (beef burger, lettuce, blue cheese, bacon and pepper sauce), which came with slaw and waffle fries or sweet potato fries. I opted for the waffle fries along with everyone else at the table. I think we was all excepting some unique fried sweet waffle pieces but was a little disappointed to see these were simple criss cut chips. 

The burger was thick and juicy and very filling. I love blue cheese and it was nice to see this dripping down the sides of the burger. One thing everyone seemed to point out was the side dishes basically consisted of slaw and fries. It seemed a little pointless when all the burger options came with this. It would been a better idea to have the option to upgrade to chilli cheese fries, add more toppings to your burger or change the side to corn on the cob or onion rings. As lovely as the food was I couldn't help feel cheated the food didn't come in a traditional basket and it kind of was a major kill to the whole concept.

To finish I decided I was far too full for a desert although there was a nice range of options. I felt I couldn't leave before testing out a milkshake as I had been told these were fabulous. I choose the butterscotch milkshake and it was divine. Again I would of rather seen a more american looking version in a sundae style glass with whipped cream and a cherry on top but the milk bottle glass was still rather cute looking. 

Overall I think there is a lot of room for improvement at Rosie's Diner. The wait time's and service need a lot of work but the place is pretty cool and the food is delicious. The prices are also reasonable. 


Have you been to Rosie's Diner?

Sammie

Rosie's Diner
Cardigan Fields
kirkstall
Leeds 
LS4 2DG

Disqus comments