Tuesday 4 June 2013

National Media Museum - Bollywood Icons & Tom Wood Photography

As I previously mentioned in my last post, on Monday I was invited down to the Bradford Media Museum. It was really nice to have a chance to view there exhibitions and take a look around the museum. I hadn't been here since I was a little girl and although sadly I didn't get chance to play with any video games or pretend to be on TV like I did when I was little, you can be assured the museum is both adult, child and big kid (aka me) friendly. 

Bollywood Icons - 100 Years of Indian Cinema

8 March 2013 - 16 June 2013

Indian Cinema is 100 years old this year and we're hosting a number of events celebrating the centenary that followed Raja Harischandra(dir. Dadasaheb Phalke, 1913).
Bollywood Icons: 100 years of Indian Cinema is an exhibition, curated by Bollywood commentator, Irna Qureshi, telling the story of Indian Cinema using our Collection.
The exhibition is part of our 100 Years of Indian Cinema season, which also includes a series of Indian films during the Bradford International Film Festival in partnership with Virgin Media in April, and a family festival every weekend in May and throughout May half term.




The first tour we was given was the Bollywood Icons Exhibition lead by Irna Qureshi. It was really interesting to be given the tour by someone who was so passionate about the exhibition and Irna really engaged the audience. I found her talk fascinating, with my zero knowledge of Indian cinema she really was a brilliant tour guide and spoke well to the audience. I'd never previously considered having a guided tour of any museum but this really opened up my eyes to the fact they're actually interesting. Even little blonde me enjoys my dose of culture every once in a while.

Tom Wood Photographs - 1973 -2013

8 March 2013 - 16 June 2013

Born in 1951, Tom Wood has spent much of the last four decades photographing the daily life of the people of Merseyside. Regularly walking the streets of Liverpool, and seldom without his camera, Wood continuously recorded the people he encountered with a rare and empathic insight into human nature.
Tom Wood: Photographs 1973 - 2013 is the first major solo exhibition of his work in the UK and is a collaboration with The Photographers’ Gallery, London.



The next exhibition we was shown was the Tom Wood Photographs. I absolutely loved this exhibition and many of the photographs have a slightly cheeky or unexpected element too them. Many of the photographs are take in pubs, clubs or on buses and capture the moments we would all now "un-tag". 

When talking to Emily the press officer and the host of the event about my fav photograph, I couldn't help but come out with the one where a boy is holding girls ar** at the bus stop... well done Sammie. However that is a great example of the playful cheeky nature some of the photographs capture. 

We all kindly showed respect for Tom's work so unfortunately there isn't any close up pictures of well..the pictures so your just going to have to see the exhibition, what runs until the 16th June for yourself. 

Do you have a favourite photograph?
Sammie

Disqus comments