Saturday 24 May 2014

Gusto Cookridge Leeds | Review |

Although I would never consider myself a "food blogger" it's far from a secret that I do love food and love finding new restaurants to share with you. Actually I think I say this at the start of every food post. This week I was invited to Gusto in Cookridge Leeds to review their new summer menu change with my blogging buddy Jess. I had heard from friends over the few days prior just how good this place was, or a few said that they had heard good things but  had never been, so I was very eager to see for myself what the place would have in store. 

Upon arrive we was greeted and given a little overview of the restaurant, over a cocktail. I ordered the elderflower and thyme Martini, what was defiantly a summery outdoor cocktail and perfect after been stuck in a hot office all day. 

I'm really loving the growing trend of using herbs in cocktails more and more as opposed to just a sprig of mint in a mojito. It's good to see a restaurant that has just as much emphasis on the drinks as well as the food. 

Gusto restaurant

Gusto restaurant

Gusto restaurant

Gusto restaurant

Gusto restaurant

Gusto restaurant

Gusto restaurant

Gusto restaurant

Gusto restaurant

The restaurant to me has a very homely feel, which defiantly fits in well for it's suburban location. Although don't be fooled although it's not a city centre based restaurant it is defiantly worth the extra little effort to get there. 

To me the homely feel to the restaurant was apparent as soon as I sat at my table. With the open plan kitchen to my left, sky windows above and bay windows leading out onto a out door patio to my right and a more intimate seating with classy pictures and flower arrangements at the top, it felt like the whole home was covered. From garden to living room with the most cosy dining area taking centre stage. The most eye catching point in the restaurant were the elegant blue lights draped around an olive tree in the centre. I didn't really want to take too many pictures of the restaurant it's self as obviously it's a little strange to other diners. 

Since you've scrolled down this far and are still reading, I best get talking about the food.

Seared tuna steak, 
marinated in balsamic and soywith a fennel and orange salad and green gazpacho £18.95
Despite gusto been an Italian restaurant with an amazing range of pizza's & pastas (all pasta's can be as a starter or main course) I decided I would opt for something a little extra special and choose the seared tuna steak. 
I was expecting a thin steak with a thin streak of pink running through the middle, what I actually got was a very pleasant surprise. A thick fresh tuna steak lightly seared on a bed of crisp well dressed salad. This was fresh, seasoned well and cooked amazingly. I do feel it's a little risky for restaurants to serve a meal like this so lightly seared but it was divine. 

Side order:
French beans with shallots £3.25
We decided to share a few side plates with our meal. The French beans were seasoned well and cooked beautifully not too crisp, no too soft and I found them a light ideal summer side.

Side order:
Baked rosemary and garlic roast potatoes £3.25
The garlic and rosemary potatoes were lovely and crisp with light fluffy insides. With little sprigs of rosemary coating each potato. 

Desert:
Vanilla panna cotta with fresh raspberries £4.95
Ok so I will admit the first thing I did here was give my plate a little wobble. It passed the test. This traditional Italian desert was light and cream, I loved the extra touch of the fresh raspberry's and the chocolate biscuit crumb on top what gave the dessert an extra depth of texture. 

The Cocktails:
Elderflower and thyme Martini. (Beefeater Gin, Apple juice and Elderflower liquor)

Basilico - Award winning cocktail (Appletons V/X gold rum, apricot liquor, Amaretto with lemon and fresh basil) 

Vanilla Berry Fizz (Chambord black raspberry liquor, vanilla syrup and Prosecco)

Overall I would defiantly recommend a trip to Gusto. The restaurant has a warm welcoming feeling and it's defiantly competes with the more well known city centre establishments. Been seen as a more Local restaurant means they are able to deliver a more personal service, whether this be a birthday meal to an engagement. 

I may have also seen a few sneak previews for their Great Gatsby Ball theme night on the 10th July what looks simply incredible.

Sammie

*Meal provided free of charge. All views remain my own*


Disqus comments